Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Real Estate, Parties and Spanish








Family!
I want to start today with Honduran Real estate 101. You go on divisions with your zone leader, and you go house by house and ask them if they know of any open houses. They either say yes, no, or someone down the street does. Once you find a house the first question is always does it have a bathroom. The answer in Guapinol was always no haha. So we are not going to be living in Guapinol. A rule for the mission is every house needs to have a bathroom inside and electricity. So we are stuck in Monjaras. We are supposed to find another house in Monjaras though because apparently we are the only house in the mission that has 4 missionaries, and there was some drama in that house before I came so we are supposed to leave. We havent found a house yet. I want to leave though because one of the Elders in that house leaves in like 23 days, so thats all he talks about, and the other is super annoying. I dont think Elder Guillen really cares to find another house though because we don´t look much. Hopefully we can find one next week.
So yeah I went on divisions with my zone leader Elder Wilkenson this week.  I went out to his area in Cedeño. It was good to work with him. So Guapinol has a beach but it is more like for fishermen, The beach in Cedeño is beautiful though. That is where everyone is going to go in a couple of weeks during la Semaña Santa. You think its cool that we have one day to celebrate Christ in the US every spring (easter) these people take a whole week off to do it. It is interesting, everyone believes in Christ down here. If you look in the title page of El Libro de Mormón it says something about how the book was written for the convincing of the Gentiles and the Jews that Jesus is the Christ. It speaks of the Lamenites as a remnant of the house of Isreal, and says the book is to help them remember how merciful the lord has been for them and that they are not cast off forever. It doesn´t need to convince them that Jesus is the Christ because the decendents of the Lamanitas (people in central and south America) already are convinced that Jesus is the Christ. Cool huh!
Something else cool that happened this week is last Monday night we went to a Noche de Hogar that was also this member ladies birthday, and she had asked the missonaries to share a message. I prepared a message about prayer because I was going to do the message. I figured there would  be about 10 people there but no. There was like 40. It was a little intimidating. I went up and talked for 10 or 15 min and it was really cool. Everyone said they could understand me fine, which is weird because I really have been struggling with spanish this week. It is not that I can´t spèak, I can´t understand everything, and I can´t say everything that I would like to say. it is frustrating. It is definatly teaching me patience.
I don´t think I´ve mentioned this either but noone can say my name down here. It is too english haha. They try and say congstong or something. It is pretty funny. After a couple of tries they can usually get it. It is funny. I help alot of the kids with their English homework in Guapinol because they all have to take it. I am seriously just trying to serve them how ever I can right now because I can´t talk to them very well. I just am trying to serve all of Guapinol. Not alot of people that are members go to church out there, and it is even harder to get our investigators to want to go. There have been a lot of baptisms in my area in the past but I don´t feel like many of them were ready, because none of them come to church anymore. I´m not going to just baptize to get the stats. Thats why I haven´t had any yet. The goal is to baptize but I want to do it right, and a lot of missionaries down here don´t care and just do it for the stats. It is sad. I´m not going to contribute to the problem though
I really love hearing all of your stories from home, sorry that I don´t reply to all of them. Keep telling me everything though because I love to hear it! I love all of you so much. Have a good week!
Love, Elder Comstock

No comments:

Post a Comment