Wednesday, July 11, 2012

He has arrived!!!!

Hello from Honduras!
I am here. And I´ve survived the first week. It was crazy so I will start from Day 1. So we landed in Honduras at around 2 on Monday and we were picked up by President and Sister Hernandez and the APs. We then went to our first Honduran meal... Pizza Hut. It was funny. Different than the US though. I went out that night with Elder Oveson and one of the office Elders and that was my first taste of real Honduras, or so I thought, because that was in the city. The next day, I talked to mom in the morning, and then we were in the city once again with some of the zone leaders. That was cool. It ended up being a split so I wasn´t with Elder Oveson.We walked past the Honduran white house that day, and we went to the downtown area of Teguc. It was crazy, and much different than my area. On wednesday we went to the chapel to meet our trainers. But we had some dennys for breakfast first. My first 3 days I had pizza hut, mcds, buger king, church´s chicken, and Dennys, but that was in the city. My area has different food than that. So we got the change meeting to meet our trainers and it was intense. I didn´t know if i would be in the city or the south. I didn´t know if I would have a latino comp or a gringo. I was just excited to meet my new companion and learn about where I would be for the next 3 months. So I got my comp. His name is Elder Guillen. My area is called Guapinol. Elder Guillen is an awesome companion, he is loving and kind. He is happy and fun. He is from El Salvador and doesn´t speak english. I love him. I don´t speak his language very well but I love him. He really doesn´t know much english, only a few phrases and he doesn´t understand english either so we don´t speak it at all. I am blessed with the gift of tounges though because I can understand everything he says almost. I don´t know how but its awesome. I will be his last companion so he has been out here for 21 months. Trainers are always with thier kids for 2 changes which is 12 weeks.
So Guapinol...... It is the farthest away area in the mission from the mission home. It is right off the coast. It is a little fishing town out in the middle of nowhere. It is poor. I don´t know if any of you could comprehend how poor it is. The houses are literally made of sticks. The floors are all dirt. It is so poor we can´t even live there. We live 11 km away in a town called Monjoras. We have to take a bus 45 min to get there everyday, and we have to go back to Monjaras at 5 everynight becuase thats when the last bus back leaves. It is a unique situation. No other area in the mission is like it. We just study at night. And we go eat with members in Monjaras. We live with 2 other missionaries in Monjaras. Elder Olsen and Elder Carter. They are both American and know English. Our house has a cold shower and toilets that kind of work. There are 2 other missionaries in Monjaras, Elder Jensen and Elder Piche. that makes up our district. I see them about everynight for dinner. Elder Jensen is a cool guy and I am able to talk to him in English so Its a nice break from the Headaches Spanish has been giving me. The people in Guapinol are so illiterate and have very mumbly spanish. It is very difficult to understand. They lack in teeth and annunciation.
This area I am in is not like Tegucigalpa. This is the Honduras everyone imagines. It is ridiculously hot all of the time. It is very poor all around. The people though are so kind. I can not complain one bit about them. It would be nice if I could understand them better but I love them anyway. The little kids are seriously the best part. They are so loving and just want to talk to the missionaries. I wish I could understand them better too. All of the other missionaries I am with say I am doing a good job with spanish. It is hard to tell but I hope they are right.
The food. I love it! It isn´t dennys and all that stuff down here (in the south), but it is so good. Like frijoles, juevos, and platanoe plates. So good. Camoroonies (shrimp), amazing! Baleadas are like signature Honduran tacos with beans, mantequilla, and cheese and they are so simple, yet so good. I was so afraid of the food but I really love it. It is weird to not be able to turn on the faucet and get a drink of water but it is ok. We have little bags of water that are pure and I am very hydrated. I really love it down here so far.
The mission is basicly divided into 2 parts, the City, and the South. The city is nicer than the south. I am in the dirty south. I like it a lot down here though. It is tough ajusting to a different scheudle but its ok. We don´t have any baptisms set up right now but that just means we have work to do. We will find some people this week I feel like. We did service for 2 hours in the death sun yesterday carring about 100 sand bags back and forth around the pueblo. That was one of the toughest things I´ve ever done, but we found like 2 families to teach from that. Here in our mission we only try to find famlies. We don´t try to find individual people to teach. It is all about uniting familes so that makes it a sweet work.
My favorite thing so far is that I am a seminary teacher! I have a class of about 7 youth. We have class every wednesday, thursday, and sunday for sunday school. It is so cool. I´ve only gotten to go once so far and we taught about Abraham and Isaac. That was tough in spanish to kids that don´t know very much about the Bible. It is so cool to be a seminary teacher here though. Whit you have to tell Bro Coder, Callister, and Stone k! And Dad you should tell PRau on Sunday too. I was very blessed to have amazing seminary and Institute teachers so it is an amazing blessing to be able to return the favor to the youth in Guapinol. Hopefully we can figure out how to get more youth to come to our classes. We just need to find more families.
That is basicly my last week. I love it down here. It is hot, exausting, and I can´t understand people, but its ok. I´m gonna make it. I love you all so much and I hope all is well at home. Have an awesome week in Utah. I´ll be in this whole different planet down here.
Love, Elder Comstock
Elder Guillen (Jordan's trainer) and Elder Comstock.

The mission home.

Seminary teaching supplies.


Elder Comstock and Elder Guillen on the road to their area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment